Will getting married help me immigrate faster? 5 Answers as of August 22, 2011

I'm 19 with a tourist visa and my boyfriend is 19 also who is a permanent resident. I'm being filed for buy my mom. It was said that it will take 5-10 yrs if I get married to my boyfriend. Will it go through faster or will it just affect my filing? Also, can he apply for his citizenship after 3 yrs?

We would need to evaluate the two categories for you to advise the best option. Unless your boyfriend is still married to and living with his U.S. citizen spouse, the soonest he can apply for U.S. citizenship is 4 years and 9 months from the date he became a Permanent resident. You may want to explore other options to remain here while awaiting your boy friend to become a U.S. citizen and petition for your PR.
I suggest that you should not get married just because you want the process faster. If he becomes a US citizen later and you still want to get married, then do it at that time.
We need additional information to answer this question. It depends upon the status your mother has in the U.S. If she is a resident, then getting married will result in the cancellation of her petition for you as a resident cannot sponsor a married son or daughter. The marriage would not necessarily make the case go faster as you would remain in the same category for both cases (spouse of a resident or child of a resident are the same preference category). However, if your mother is a U.S. citizen, then it would be best to petition through her. Your fiance may be eligible to file for U.S. citizenship after 3 years depending upon how he got his resident status. The waiting period is usually 5 years, but is shorten for certain cases. Finally, it is important to remember that as a beneficiary of a petition filed by a resident, you are not eligible to adjust your status in the U.S. unless you remain in status while awaiting an immigrant visa. You must be in status at the time you file your application to adjust status
What is your mother's immigration status? If she is a US citizen, and you are under 21, you are an immediate relative and there is no priority date wait. You can file today, it is taking about 6 months for approvals.
Hugo Florido ESQ.
Hugo Florido ESQ. | Hugo Florido
Your marriage to your LPR boyfriend will make you a second preference (2a) . If your boyfriend was to become a citizen that would assuredly speed up the process. I would have to know when he became an LPR to determine.