Will future employers see my criminal record? 6 Answers as of July 29, 2011

I was charged with retail fraud 3rd degree in October 2007 I was 17. I had never been in trouble before. I plead guilty, I paid my fees and did 6 months probation and my case was closed. Will future employers be able to see this on my record?

If they run a criminal background check, it will appear. After 5 years, you could petition the court to expunge this record provided there is only this one conviction. It is up to the discretion of the court whether to grant such a request.
It depends on whether you were charged as a juvenile or as an adult. Juvenile records are not availabel to the public but adult records are. If they look in the right place, they can find it. The worse thing you can do is lie about it. It's better to admit than for your future employer to found out that you lied about something.
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
Yes you should think about getting an expungment.
Thank you for your inquiry Your case could have been handled under MCL 771.1 or under HYTA. If so, then after a year (in a 771.1 case), or after the plea in a HYTA case, there would be no public record of the case, and it would not need to be disclosed to most employers. (Some, like government security clearance jobs, would still require disclosure) These handlings of your case need to be agreed upon at the time of the plea/sentence, and if they were not done, they are not available now. A last option, if this is your only offense, would be to seek expungement after 5 years. You will have 5 years in 2012, and should contact an attorney about the procedure and other eligibility requirements. I hope that this was helpful