Will a foreign court case be a problem for immigrating to the US? 2 Answers as of May 16, 2011

I am a US citizen, my husband is in India I want to apply for his case but someone made a complaint on him that he owes money to someone in India, his case is in the court also. I wanted to know would this cause a problem for him not to get visa to US. What should he to in order to come here clean?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
It depends on if it is civil or criminal. A civil complaint should not make a difference. A criminal act may. I have been practicing for over 15 years. Our immigration law firm has been in the immigration field for more than 45 years. We have handled cases with experience, integrity, and good effect. Please call me. We offer payment plans with no interest.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/16/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
It may be a bar to your husband's successful application for legal residency through consular processing (which he will have to do through the US embassy/consulate nearest your husband's home), to have a criminal conviction involving fraud or theft, or to have a judgment by a tax authority that is greater than $10,000. If he can evade that (he needs a lawyer in India with knowledge of Indian contract and/or criminal law), then he will be able to gain residency, after your initial petition is approved. It certainly appears that you and your husband need excellent immigration counsel. If it is your desire to do so, please feel free to call or e-mail me to set up an in-person or phone consultation. Best to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: