Will filing for bankruptcy cover my medical bills even if it was from a DUI? 7 Answers as of November 20, 2012

I was in an accident and went to the hospital nothing was wrong with me but I was under the influence and got a DUI. Now I owe over $30,000. Will filing for bankruptcy cover this?

Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
It should. The exception is for 3rd party victims of the accident.
Yes, the medical bills appear to be dis chargeable. Were the bills only for you.
Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
If the medical bills are your medical bills and not some form of criminal restitution for injury to someone else then they are dis chargeable.
Yes. Normally the debts you cannot discharge in a bankruptcy are personal injury debt to someone you injured as a result of you being under the influence.
Yes, your own medical bills are dischargeable in bankruptcy even if you were driving DUI. Is whey you injure someone while drunk driving that you might have a big problem. Charging $30,000 when there was nothing seriously wrong with you is fraudulent in my personal opinion. I also practice personal injury litigation and see the bills sent to my client for emergency room charges that are incredible. If you had health insurance the hospital would only receive a small percentage of what they charge people with no health insurance and then write off the balance but when they get someone in the emergency room like you with no health insurance then they drive you into bankruptcy.