Will a felony conviction show up on a employer background check in Georgia? 1 Answers as of April 26, 2011

I have applied for a GWCL and they seem to believe I was convicted of a felony. However, the only two charges I had were given First Offender treatment which I successfully completed. For the purposes of the GWCL I should be clear since I have a discharge without adjudication of guilt. I pulled by background in two different counties and both came back with "no records found". If I had a conviction I would think that it would have a record on that background check. This should clear up any misunderstanding over whether or not I was convicted. I did have to have my GCIC corrected because the county where I was convicted did not enter it properly.

Giannini Law Office, PC
Giannini Law Office, PC | Robert Giannini
Ask them if they will show you the record they pulled on you. It could be that they have gotten a record through one of the private (non-governmental) back-ground check companies. They often search court and jail records, which are open to the public. These types of records may not be updated to show the first offender discharge. Also, you need to make sure that you are checking your state GCIC record and not just some county records. You can visit the GCIC's website for instructions on how to request the record.