Will the father still have to pay child support if he's not on the birth certificate at all? 4 Answers as of August 29, 2012

I am 30 weeks pregnant and in a relationship with a girl. The father and I have no communication at all. I do not want to put his name on the birth certificate. I want my daughter to have her name in this format "First Middle Girlfriend'sLast - MyLast" Am I able to do this? and if I don't have him on the birth certificate, will I still recieve child support from him after they establish paternity?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
Yes you will still receive child support but the Court may order you to add him to the birth certificate and change the name of the child to match his.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/29/2012
The Law Office of Eric J Smith
The Law Office of Eric J Smith | Eric Smith
Since you are there and doing the hard work of birthing this baby, you get to write anything you want on that birth certificate. As such, it has very little real legal significance. After the child is born, you will seek a child support order and determination of parentage through the court, which will include a DNA test unless the father expressly admits being the father to the court. The child's father may try to have the child's name changed in that proceeding, and he may be granted that right.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/22/2012
Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
You can tell the hospital what you want on the birth certificate. Even though the baby's father is not on the birth certificate, if you establish his paternity, he will be responsible for child support. The support belongs to the child, not the parent, and if he fathered this child, the child is entitled to support from its father.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 8/22/2012
Thomas P. Carnes, Attorney & Mediator | Thomas P. Carnes
After the child is born, one of you will need to file a parentage case to establish paternity, to set custody and parenting time, and for child support and medical support. The naming issue is generally dealt with fully and finally in that proceeding, no matter what the birth certificate says. The father will have neither rights nor duties (such as to pay child support) unless or until the court adjudicates him to be the father.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/22/2012
Click to View More Answers: