Will the father still have to pay child support if he gives up his rights? 1 Answers as of August 15, 2011

My granddaughter's father is paying child support, but has decided to relinquish his parental rights. Will he still have to pay child support if he gives up his rights?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
He just decided? Did your granddaughter seek a termination or is this one of those situations where the guy just decided it is good for him? I ask this because is it not uncommon for a mother to want to terminate the father so that "he won't ever be able to take my child from me" or for the father to want to voluntarily terminate because "I don't want to be a father" or "I don't want to pay for that child". Too bad for both because that is not the law. A parent does not get to unilaterally decide to not be a parent anymore. He can stop being a "Daddy" but if he is the "Father" that is a legal status that he has no control over. Ditto to your granddaughter. All that said, the answer to your question is "No". While visitation and support are not interconnected, rights and duties of parents are dependent upon one another. If he is terminated, his rights as a father disappear as do his obligations or duties which includes the duty to provide support.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: