Will the fact that I am working affect my ability to gain US citizenship? 4 Answers as of January 27, 2011

I am not a citizen nor am I supposed to be working. My father is a US citizen and is applying for my citizenship. I have a ss# that I acquired from years of schooling in the US that is supposed to be valid for everything BUT working, unless the job is on campus if I am enrolled in school. However, there is nothing that would indicate to an employer that I am not supposed to be working so applying for a job and working is something that I can do with ease. I appear to be a citizen to most because I reside here. My question is, will me working affect getting my citizenship when my father applies for me? Will they somehow look up my ss# and see that I worked for a period of time and deny me? Or worse deport me?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
I would need more facts. How old are you? Did you enter the U.S. legally or illegally when you first came? Are you currently a permanent resident as that is usually the first status before you become a citizen unless you are entitled to derivative citizenship.

I would suggest a consult to sort out your options. You may schedule this by contacting me as indicated below. I do charge for consultations however any fees paid for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained to do any immigration work after the consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/27/2011
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
Yes, that's possible if you fail to disclose the fact that you've been working in violation of your status and immigration authorities then later find out about it.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/20/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
If your EAD only authorizes you to work on campus you cannot work off campus. If you do it is a violation of you current immigration status you could be deported from the U.S. Also, it could make you ineligible to receive a Green Card (you have to have a Green Card for 5 years before applying for US Citizenship) through your father. Also, falsely claiming you are authorized to work or that you are a U.S. Citizen can also prevent you from receiving a Green Card. In fact a false claim of U.S. Citizen permanently bars you from ever getting a Green Card.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/20/2011
Hugo Florido ESQ.
Hugo Florido ESQ. | Hugo Florido
You may qualify to gain citizenship through your father. In that case, your illegal employment in the U.S. would not matter. Please contact an attorney for further information.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/20/2011
Click to View More Answers: