Will a DUI affect my college applications? 40 Answers as of June 11, 2013

I am trying to apply for graduate school. I got a DUI recently and I am really worried that it will affect my chances of getting accepted somewhere. What can I do?

You can apply for an expungement if you have completed probation. An attorney can advise you of the details. Otherwise it is not likely that a first offense DUI will affect your chances of getting admitted.
Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law
Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law | Michael R. Nack
You can (and should) hire the best attorney you can afford. The attorney might be able to defend the charge against you, or at least negotiate a plea bargain that will avoid a conviction being entered upon your record. I have handled hundreds of such cases in the thirty-three years that I have been practicing law, and I might be able to help you.
Anderson Law Office
Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
It probably will not affect your application process, but it is best to try to get the case reduced or dismissed.
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC | Thomas A. Medford, Jr.
You, depending on the facts of the case, seek to enter a diversion program which may result in the charges being dismissed. You should consult with a local attorney about possible diversion programs in you area.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
Is the case pending? If so, you can fight the charge. Will it affect your applications? You will have to read the information about the school. For some types of jobs it could be critical; for others, less important but for any position it could affect - if they have 2 equally qualified applicants and the only real difference is one has been convicted of violating the law, then there is a difference upon which they can base a decision.
    You should contact the school admissions office and ask them about disqualifying conditions.
    THe DUI will never come off your record so I do not think there is much you can do.
    Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
    Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
    The first question is whether you have been charged or whether you were actually convicted. You are presumed innocent until proven guilty. However, if you were convicted or pleaded guilty to offense which was not sealed in the court records, you would have a conviction on your record. If you have a conviction on your public criminal history, then yes, it is possible that a university or future employer could find that conviction. Further, you may be required to disclose your criminal history to a potential school or employer if they request it. Whether a conviction would impact an applicant's potential admission depends on the school's policies and a litany of many other factors. There are plenty of people who picked up a misdemeanor conviction at some point and have gone on to successful professional careers.
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN | Michael Bialys
    There are several possible options here.
    I doubt that the DWI will keep you from getting into graduate school, but it will be a problem on job applications.
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
    Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
    It has not been my experience that colleges check a criminal record or driving record when reviewing applicants. But these days who knows? It is possible to expunge the DUI after completion of probation, so if that is helpful you might do that.
    A DUI should not affect whether you are accepted into college, however I do not speak for all the entrance requirements. Many colleges are more strict than others. You need to read the entrance policies of the college you wish to apply to.
    Thank you for your inquiry Any conviction can affect you in different ways. It will depend on where you apply and their own policy. I hope that this was helpful.
    Allan & Summary
    Allan & Summary | Justin Summary
    Your best bet is to hire an attorney to try and avoid a conviction being placed on your record.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    The DUI could have an impact. Be honest about it, accept responsibility, lesson learned from mistake.
    I don't see that a DUI would prevent you from being accepted into graduate school. I would advise that you be straightforward with the conviction as trying to cover it up may cause you more problems than admitting same.
    Whether the DUI would affect college admission depends on the admission standards of the college. There is little you can do other than explain the situation if the issue comes up.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    Yes, a DWI may affect the chance of getting into a college of your choice. That is why it is critical to retain a law firm such as mine that practices DWI defense.
    Maybe and nothing.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    When you have successfully completed the terms of your probation you can have your DUI expunged. Since you say your DUI is recent, this may not be an option for you just yet. If your application asks for the disclosure of any convictions you must disclose at this point.
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady
    The Law Office of Kevin O'Grady | Kevin O'Grady
    If you are charged with a DUI, the best way to keep it off your record and out of your life, is to fight it aggressively. Your good name is at stake. Hire an aggressive attorney now.
    Answer Applies to: Hawaii
    Arnold & Wadsworth
    Arnold & Wadsworth | Brian Arnold
    It usually depends on the type of graduate school. It may have been long enough that you can apply to have it expunged. Look into it.
    Of course it will affect you, since a DUI is part of your criminal background. What you need to do is hire a DUI specialist, who may be able to have the charge dismissed or reduced and the consequences minimized. While an attorney cannot guarantee success, without one, you're guaranteed to have a DUI on your record.
    That is really up to the college to determine how much weight they give a DUI on your overall record. If you are that concerned about it, you can always write a letter of explanation or write a letter stating how much of an isolated incident it is and how your other achievements reveal more about you and your potential for success than one blemish on your record does. As a general rule, misdemeanors don't come back to haunt nearly as much as felonies do.
    Nichols Law Firm
    Nichols Law Firm | Michael J. Nichols
    It could very well affect your ability to be accepted in some graduate school programs at some colleges.
    You got a DUI "conviction" recently? There is nothing to do now. DID you retain an attorney to go to court with you? No, then you really didn't care. Yes, then you should ask your attorney what to do, since he/she plead you out
    Depends. If it was a DWAI then probably not. If it was a DWI then it may.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    First, hire a lawyer to see if you can mitigate the damage from the DUI. Second, be sure to carefully read all grad school application questions - they may not ask a question that covers it. Finally, I have not seen DUIs derail a person's grad school plans - it might have to be explained along the way, however.
    Law Office of Robert Sisson | Robert Sisson
    It.depends on the particular school's policy. Its never a good mark on your permanent record.
    Betts Legal Services
    Betts Legal Services | Shawn M. Betts
    Each school has their own standards and requirements. Generally a DWI does not prohibit a person from being accepted as long as it is disclosed on an application.
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law | Mark Thiessen
    Absolutely it can affect admissions. You need to hire the best attorney you can afford and fight it.
    John Segelbaum, P.S.
    John Segelbaum, P.S. | John Segelbaum
    If you have not yet been convicted, try to avoid a conviction. Most DUIs can be succssfuylly defended. If you have already been convicted, there is nothing you can do to hide that fact.
    If you completed all the requirements of probation and have at least one year on probation you can petition for an expungement.
    Stevens Law Office, PLC
    Stevens Law Office, PLC | Ryan Stevens
    It may. Were you convicted or can you still fight it? If it's not too late, get a good DUI lawyer and fight the charges. If you have been convicted, you can move to set aside the conviction after the sentence is fully served.
    San Diego DUI Law Center
    San Diego DUI Law Center | Rick Mueller
    Potentially. Depends on the school. Get the best possible California DUI attorney specialist you can afford.
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    You should consider consulting with a local attorney to pursue an expungement. This will seal your records and remove the conviction. That being said, some college applications will have questions that are phrased broadly enough to require you to disclose a past conviction (although this does not necessarily mean that you will be barred from admission). Others may have applications on which you do not have to disclose expunged offenses.
    The Law Firm of David Jolly
    The Law Firm of David Jolly | David Jolly
    It is hard to know if a DUI will affect your ability to be accepted by the college. Some colleges may be very strict with their applicants and some less so. I do believe that they key is honesty and full disclosure. It is more important to be honest on an application than dishonest - as dishonesty will surely result in troubles.
    With colleges being as competitive as they are, a DUI conviction could affect admissions. It depends upon the particular college and what their admission standards are. My suggestion to you is to retain the services of an attorney, who might be able to negotiate a more positive resolution (no guarantee).
    Watkins Law Office
    Watkins Law Office | Bob Watkins
    It won't help. It will depend on the application to graduate school and what information is requested. A DWI first is a class B misdemeanor - a crime, but not a felony. Many DUI dispositions allow the citizen to petition the court to amend the conviction from a misdemeanor to a violation after 1 year. A violation is not a "crime" by statute.
12 3 4 5 6 7 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney