Will drug charges appear on my son's record if he enters a no contest plea regarding drug charges and why? 8 Answers as of August 25, 2015

My son was arrested in his college apartment at 3am on Tues. The police had a warrant to search the home, and found over an ounce of marijuana in a roommate’s room. He is facing charges, even though nothing was found in his room.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
A "no contest" plea is the same as a "guilty" plea in criminal courts. It will show up as a conviction.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/25/2015
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
Missouri does not allow a plea of "no contest." You will have to hire a lawyer to represent your son if you want to get the drug charges dismissed or reduced to a lesser offense.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 8/19/2015
Law Office of Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
Yes. He needs to fight this.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/19/2015
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
Yes. A no contest plea is considered a guilty plea.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/19/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Absolutely yes, a plea of no contest will result in a criminal conviction entered upon his record which will follow him for an extended period of time, perhaps the rest of his life. He should hire an attorney and defend himself to the extent possible, it appears that he is not guilty according to your rendition of the facts.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/19/2015
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    Absolutely. You should hire a lawyer for him and get this relatively minor charge dismissed. By himself he's going to get a criminal record, and it isn't worth it.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/19/2015
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    Yes, drug charges will be on his record if he pleads "no contest." When used, it is an admission that based upon the evidence, he would have been found guilty. Most cities have diversion programs he can enter. Completion results in the charge being dropped. He will still have to expunge his record afterwards.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 8/19/2015
    Peacock Law Group of the Lowcountry, LLC | Richard Peacock
    Everyone that is on the lease will likely be charged with the drugs as they were equally responsible under the law for what was found in the apartment. Now, if the rightful owner of the drugs will speak up, usually, the prosecution will drop the charges against the rest of the folks involved and only prosecute the one that is admitting to owning the drugs. I do hereby clearly advise against any reliance on the information as advice or application of it to a specific situation without a more thorough consultation with counsel.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 8/19/2015
Click to View More Answers: