Will divorcing my US citizen wife affect my US citizenship status? 1 Answers as of October 09, 2014

I've been married to my wife since November 2012, and I got my green card since August 2013. My green card is 2 years and will expire this July 2014. We lived together since our marriage but we started to have problems couple months after I got my green card. She started to go clubbing and met new people. And she told me that she was pregnant, I thought I was the father but when the baby was born, she put the other guy's last name on the baby's birth certificate, and she told me the truth that she cheated on me and I wasn't the father. We were separated since the baby was born, she lives with her mom now with the baby. And I have to renew my green card to get the green card 10 years before it expires. We are separated since a couple months ago but not divorced yet because of lack of money to do that but we plan to divorce before to renew my green card. What do I have to do ? Will immigration let me get my green card 10 years because my wife who is the US Citizen is the one who abused me with all these problems ? How could I get my green card to expire in 10 years? Because I'm not the one who abused her. And I can't go back where I'm from, I will be alone over there because all my family are here.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
You can apply for your ten year green card even when you divorce your wife. As long as you have proof of your relationship, you should be fine. You should consult with an experienced immigration lawyer. The more joint documents that you have, the easier the case will be to get approved (e.g., joint bank statements, joint tax returns, joint lease agreement, joint utilities, etc.).
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/9/2014
Click to View More Answers: