Will disorderly conduct go on my record? 4 Answers as of July 28, 2010

Will I have trouble getting a job in California because I have been convicted of disorderly conduct?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
Any conviction goes on your record, and yes, could affect you getting a job. Minor offenses like this – less so.

Records are forever, and priors may count as 'strikes' in future charges. However, many felony and misdemeanor convictions [not infractions] can sometimes be 'expunged' by proper application and Petition to the court, but only if there was no prison time served or even sentenced, if it was not for certain sex and Domestic Violence crimes, if all terms of sentencing and probation [and at least one year of probation] are completed and finished, and if there are no new charges pending. If successful, the conviction would be retroactively withdrawn and the charges dismissed.

That does not 'remove' the conviction, but merely changes the record to show 'conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement'. If expunged, you would be able to say 'no' to conviction on most private employment applications. However, the conviction is still a 'prior' for purposes of repeat offense, and must be disclosed on any application for government and professional licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from employment because of your conviction. If you’re serious about doing so, and you think you qualify, feel free to contact me for the legal help you'll need.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/28/2010
Law Offices of Juan Dotson
Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
Disorderly conduct will go on your record. Generally, disorderly conduct is not considered a crime that would bar you from gaining most employment. It is up to an individual employer whether or not to hire a person with a criminal record. For example, in positions of trust (access to money), a conviction for any type of theft would certainly disqualify you. Your best alternatives may be to attempt to overturn your conviction or seek rehabilitative relief through an expungement.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/27/2010
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg | Eric Sterkenburg
All criminal cases are fact driven. Most disorderly conduct cases are misdemeanors. A conviction of a misdemeanor normally does not effect getting a job. However, I can only answer your question with regards to your case if you make an appointment for your free consultation and we go over the facts.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/27/2010
Click to View More Answers: