Will a dismissed drug possession case hinder my changes of receiving a gun license? 5 Answers as of June 30, 2011

I received a violation for possession of marijuana 6 years ago. However, my case was dismissed on its own and I didn't even need to see the Judge. I'm planing to apply for a gun license. Will that hinder my chances of receiving the gun license? Thank you.

Not unless it is a criminal conviction. If you got an ACD then you do not have a criminal conviction.
This response is general information only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. However if the case was dismissed without a guilty plea then it should not effect your application for a permit.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
Good question. Make the application and if it's denied contact our office to represent you in the appeal process.
Obtaining gun licenses is a separate specialty. I don't do it. But, if the charges were really dismissed, then I don't see how it can hinder you. Please note the following necessary legal disclaimer: I have not given legal advice. I only give advice to my clients. I am not acting as your attorney. I have not yet agreed to represent you. Anything I have said is based on limited information and may be subject to change as more facts become known. Attorneys express opinions. Attorneys often disagree. If you want further information or independent verification of anything I have said then you should immediately consult another attorney. Never sit on your rights! I am admitted to practice law in New York State only and cannot practice law in any other State.
It might, since the Police Department is in charge of issuing gun licenses. However, sinceit was dismissed, as long as you honestly answer the questions on their questionairre, you should be okay. Good luck.