Will a criminal record prevent me from filing for bankruptcy? 32 Answers as of July 03, 2013

I have a criminal record that I am afraid will get in the way of my file. What can I do? Should I try to get this expunged before I file? Does it even matter?

Breckenridge and Walton
Breckenridge and Walton | Alan D. Walton
No.
The Law Office of Jacqui Snyder
The Law Office of Jacqui Snyder | Jacqui Snyder
I have never had a client's criminal record cause them problems filing bankruptcy. Some criminal restitution and fines from driving under any influence are not dischargeable through filing.
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
No.
Lehn Law, PA
Lehn Law, PA | Joseph W. Lehn
A criminal record will not effect your eligibility to file a bankruptcy petition
Heupel Law
Heupel Law | Kevin Heupel
No, a criminal record will not prevent you from filing bankruptcy.
    Unless you're committing a crime in relation to filing the bankruptcy case, it is a non-issue. Of course, any debts you owe as a result of the crime, such as restitution, are not dis chargeable in any bankruptcy case.
    Greifendorff Law Office
    Greifendorff Law Office | John Greifendorff
    There are issues inside your question that cannot be determined on the facts you present. Go see a lawyer who does bankruptcy law and get the word.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    There are no questions regarding a criminal record on a bankruptcy petition. Your record would not disqualify you. Any debt arising from the crime may be a different question.
    The Salas Firm
    The Salas Firm | Ron Salas
    A Criminal record alone should not exclude you from qualifying for bankruptcy; however any debts associated with the criminal charges may be non-dis chargeable.
    Colorado Legal Solutions
    Colorado Legal Solutions | Stephen Harkess
    There is no bar from filing bankruptcy based upon having a cirminal record.
    Rosenberg & Press
    Rosenberg & Press | Max L. Rosenberg
    Doesn't matter. No one cares when you file a bankruptcy. Thanks for tuning in!
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law | Judith A. Runyon
    It doesn't matter in a bankruptcy .
    Assuming your criminal record is not for bankruptcy fraud which may result is a careful review and investigation of your petition (and possibly make some or all of your debts not dischargeable if that was the order of the court in a previous bankruptcy case), then it does not matter that you have a criminal record.
    Tucker Legal Clinic
    Tucker Legal Clinic | Samuel Tucker
    You can file a bankruptcy petition with a criminal record.
    A criminal record will not prevent you from filing for Bankruptcy.
    Lewis Adams and Associates
    Lewis Adams and Associates | Lewis P. Adams
    A criminal record should not matter if you need to file for bankruptcy relief. Restitution and/or fines may not be dischargeable if you have them. Some can be paid in a Chapter 13.
    Guardian Law Group PLLC
    Guardian Law Group PLLC | C. David Hester
    No it deosn't matter for bankruptcy unless part of what you are trying to get relief from is a judgment for fraud, in which case you cannot remove this liability, but otherwise no it doesn't matter.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    It shouldn't matter unless one of your debts are as a result of criminal conduct.
    A criminal case generally will not affect a bankruptcy. You should not be filing bankruptcy without a lawyer, so discuss this with your lawyer.
    Grasso Law Group
    Grasso Law Group | Charles Grasso, Esq.
    You can file for bankruptcy if you have a criminal record. However, if you owe any criminal fines, they are most likely NOT dischargeable.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    No not at all
    Dan Wilson Bankruptcy
    Dan Wilson Bankruptcy | Dan Wilson
    It does not matter.
    Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
    Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
    Having a criminal record does not prevent you from filing bankruptcy. I have filed bankruptcy cases for people with criminal records and succeeded in discharging all of their dischargeable debts. I have filed bankruptcy for individuals that are incarcerated at the time that they filed bankruptcy and succeeded in discharging all of their dischargeable debts.
    Ross Smith, Attorney at Law
    Ross Smith, Attorney at Law | Charles Ross Smith III
    A criminal record is not usually a problem in bankruptcy Court. I wold always act as if the Trustee and the Judge were aware ot the record. But they will not normally mention it. Needless to say, absolute truth and accuracy are necessary in filling out your petition. Good luck. Thank you for reading me. I hope you found this answer to be helpful. This answer is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is general information that should be discussed with your own attorney. Because the law in other jurisdictions is different and the facts of each case are different, consumers cannot rely on the opinions expressed here.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    Simply because you have a criminal record does not prevent you from filing bankruptcy. It may preclude you from claiming certain protections from the liquidation of assets. Or, if there arose debt as a result of the conviction it may be nondischargeable in bankruptcy. I recommend that you discuss the type of conviction and its affects on your ability to retain property and obtain a discharge of your debts.
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    Depends on the crime and how long ago. If for anything fraudulent, that debt wouldn't be dischargeable. There is a provision about felons, but I don't think it's a complete bar. See a Bankruptcy lawyer near you and discuss the particulars of your case.
    Braunstein Law, PC
    Braunstein Law, PC | Jacob Braunstein
    Typically, the presence of a criminal record should not affect one's ability to file for bankruptcy.
    A criminal record has no bearing on whether you can or cannot file bankruptcy. The only way a criminal conviction has any bearing on a bankruptcy is that any restitution required under a criminal conviction cannot be discharged in the bankruptcy.
    Having a criminal record does not make a person ineligible to file bankruptcy.
    Melinda Murphy Dionne, PC
    Melinda Murphy Dionne, PC | Melinda Murphy Dionne
    Your criminal record should not impact on your ability to file bankruptcy. There are no questions in the schedules which ask about criminal history. If your crime involved embezzlement, fraud, theft, or if you were ordered to pay fines or restitution, that may impact on your discharge. Generally these types of debts are nondischargeable.
    It does not matter at all. If there is an order for restitution or fines that have not been paid, those will not be discharged.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney