Will a criminal record be created on my name after shoplifting? 7 Answers as of March 04, 2014

I have been caught for shoplifting and has asked to sign 3 forms. The shop people said that they will send these forms to their attorney and I will get a letter on my mailing address for same asking to pay some fine. Currently, I am holding B1 visa and going to file for H1. Will there be any issue in doing so? Please answer and let me know what I should do now.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
A record is created only if they report this to the police and you end up getting prosecuted and convicted.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/4/2014
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
Absolutely it will. Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your VISA and career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/26/2014
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
As long as the store doesn't file criminal charges against you, and you are not ultimately convicted of shoplifting, nothing will show up on your criminal background report. They have up to 1 year after the date of the incident to call the police and file a police report against you for shoplifting. Paying the store's civil demand will not make any difference if they later decide to also file criminal charges against you.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 2/25/2014
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
In order to have a criminal record, you must be charged in court and found guilty (by your admission or jury/judge). The prosecutor could mail you a summons to go to an arraignment for Theft 3.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 2/25/2014
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
Yes, a criminal record will be created in your name as a result of this arrest.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 2/25/2014
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Pay the fine and avoid the conviction.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 2/25/2014
    Austin Legal Services, PLC
    Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
    They may or may not decide to press charges depending on the policy of the store. Contact an immigration attorney to see if a pending misdemeanor charge what affect your status in any way.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 2/25/2014
Click to View More Answers: