Will the court take her child custody requests seriously? 1 Answers as of April 27, 2011

I have joint custody of my 2.5 year old daughter. She calls my wife (her stepmom) mommy because my other 3 children call her mom so that is what she calls her. The child's mother is threatening court to make her stop calling her mommy. Can she really? Does the court really care?

The court does care if it serves to alienate the child's affections for her birth mother. And, no she will likely take her custody request seriously and do whatever the court decides is in the child's best interests when making a decision. It would be a good idea to take matters in your own hands and give directions for her to not call your new wife "mommy" if it is likely to change how the child relates to her birth mother. It's certainly safer that way. Good luck.