Will the court allow my dad, her grandpa, to adopt her and share custody with me? 1 Answers as of October 25, 2017

I have a 9 year old whose dad hasn't had any contact since she was 16 months. The father has never sought a court order for custody or visitation and does not pay child support. I've never obtained an order either. I'm not remarried and don't have a spouse to admit her. I need to terminate her father’s rights but heard the court will not do that without a second parent willing to adopt her.

You're absolutely correct about the courts philosophy on adoption. The child has a right to have a relationship with both biological parents unless that relationship would be somehow harmful to the child. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to explore your options concerning the biological father?s request for a timeshare.