Will a citation for possession of marijuana go on my record? 9 Answers as of November 09, 2011

I recently received a citation for possession of marijuana under an ounce, in CA. Will this go on my record? Will it show or affect my insurance? How much is the fine and can it be paid with community service?

Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
Possession of marijuana under an ounce is an infraction in California. Although it will show up on a background check, it is not considered a criminal charge since it is an infraction and not a misdemeanor or felony. An infraction is similar to a traffic ticket. You can probably pay the fines through community service but this is a decision for the judge to make.
Since possession of less than one ounce of marijuana was made an infraction in January, it has remained unclear where and how such a conviction would be recorded in your automated criminal history. It will of course show up in the court file. Since it is an infraction, it need not be reported on a job application. Whether and how insurance companies will receive notice of this is also not unclear although you may be required to disclose it if asked directly by the company.
Possession of less than an ounce of marijuana in California is an infraction. The pinilities for violating this if a $100.00 fine. This is handled like a traffic ticket in California. You will have to ask your insurance carrier to find out how it will affect your insurance. Just as a traffic ticket will go on your record so will this infraction. I have never seen the fine converted into community service.
Not on your record and the fine is $100 with some additional costs.
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann
The Law Offices of Christopher J. McCann | Christopher J. McCann
With certain exceptions, possession of less than an ounce of marijuana is an infraction (not a criminal conviction) that is punishable only with a fine of several hundred dollars. Fines can be converted to Caltrans work picking up trash on the side of the freeway. Infractions for which you are found guilty don't appear on a criminal record, but the arrest itself will. However, you may still suffer a license suspension from the DMV as a result. Contact an attorney to discuss your specific options.
    Robert Mortland
    Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
    This will show up on your record. However, it is only an infraction and this will not affect your insurance. In addition, an employer cannot ask you about an infraction (only misdemeanors and felonies). The fine is around $500 total (after penalty assessments) and can be paid with community service. Usually you can work at $10 per hour but this is up to the judge.
    Rizio & Nelson
    Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
    As long as it's just simple possession without any intent to sell or give it away, it's probably just an infraction (equivalent of a speeding ticket), punishable by a small fine only. It will go on your record, but you're eligible for an expungement after a short period. If you can't afford to pay the small fine, the court can work out a payment plan or you can arrange to work if off with community service.
    Law Office of Daniel K Martin
    Law Office of Daniel K Martin | Daniel K Martin
    That charge is equal to a speeding ticket. It will go on your record but just in the same category as a ticket. Employers will not be able to see it.
    Law Offices of Andrew Bouvier-Brown
    Law Offices of Andrew Bouvier-Brown | Andrew J. Bouvier-Brown
    No, it is a citation. That's different than a misdemeanor, which becomes part of your criminal record. A citation is the rough equivalent of getting a traffic ticket. Not quite the same, but for all important purposes you can think of it that way.