Will changing my name affect my green card? 2 Answers as of March 10, 2011

I just got divorced and I want to change my ssn to my maiden name. Will this affect my green card because I used my married name on my green card? My green card is about to expire 8 months from now.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Apply for citizenship immediately.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/10/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
No it will not affect your Green Card. However, to prevent confusion when traveling you should file to replace your Green Card with one with your new (post divorce) name by filing Form I-90. Alternatively, if eligible you can file for Naturalization and have the Naturalization Certificate issued under your new name.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/9/2011
Click to View More Answers: