Will a change in my marital status affect my green card application? 4 Answers as of October 27, 2010

My brother works in the United States and I hope to someday have citizenship there. I applied for a green card a few years ago, when I was single. Now I am married with a child. Will this change affect my green card application?

I would have to know a lot more about your previous application, when you were single. Was your brother your sponsor? Was the initial petition approved? How is it that you were refused, if you were refused? As a married man, your brother can petition for you, if he is a U.S. citizen, but now if he is only a legal resident. You may also obtain derivative status for your wife and children with you. But I would need to know more, and I would gladly set up an appointment with you, in person or over the phone. Give me an e-mail or call, and I'll schedule that for you.
When you say you "applied" for a green card, what exactly do you mean? There is no self-application for a green card except in very few exceptional cases. Usually, you would need to be sponsored by either a qualifying relative or an employer. Again, depending on who petitions on your behalf and on what basis, your marital status may or may not make any difference.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
If your brother petitioned you, then getting married would not affect your petition.