Will bankruptcy be an issue for getting a visa? 2 Answers as of May 04, 2011

I am British and am currently residing in Los Angeles on a 3 year 0-1 visa. I'm looking to apply for my green card next year, however, I am experiencing a very difficult financial situation back in the UK and am debating bankruptcy. Would this be an issue when applying for a green card if I was to go ahead?

If you are contemplating filing for bankruptcy in the US, that could certainly be a problem since it indicates that you may become a public charge for lack of funds. This is not the be all and end all of it if you can show that you have a secure employment that will provide you with the requisite funds to support yourself. Bankruptcy in and of itself is not prohibitive of a green card approval. You just have to make a showing as to how you intend to support yourself. So, keep your financial records straight just in case you need them for that purpose. It may not come up at all since there are no questions dealing directly with bankruptcy in the application for a green card. You can do it. Good luck!
Devore Law Group, P.A.
Devore Law Group, P.A. | Jeffrey A. Devore
No. Filing for bankruptcy does not have any effect on your ability to become a permanent resident.