Will bankruptcy affect my potential for career advancement? 12 Answers as of February 13, 2015

I'm a mid-level educational administrator for the school district.

It's illegal for an employer to discriminate because you've filed bankruptcy. So, sophisticated employers avoid accessing anything which would contain that information (don't ask on applications, don't look at credit reports, etc.) to protect themselves from lawsuits.
For some occupations, maybe. Those occupations where you have access to customer's money (indirectly). And some occupations which require a high level security clearance. Usually not.
That is up to your potential employers. Generally no though.
It is difficult to say for sure, as some careers require credit checks. Generally, it does not affect career advancement.
There are no guarantees. Certainly there is potential effect and there extent cannot be predicted. I would need more information to even hazard a guess.
    John W. Lee, P.C.
    John W. Lee, P.C. | John W. Lee
    In most cases a persons career is not negatively impacted by filing a bankruptcy. People that work in banking, finance or require a very high security clearance may, in some limited circumstances, be effected by filing a bankruptcy. Debtors that are concerned about how a bankruptcy may effect their career should talk to the appropriate people in their human resources department or management prior to filing.
    It's not supposed to. There is a law (11 USC sec. 525) which prohibits discrimination against people in matters of employment just because they filed a bankruptcy. I think such discrimination is very rare. But if a boss wants to be rid of someone, they can usually find a reason. Good Luck.
    John W. Lee, PC
    John W. Lee, PC | Kim A. Lewis
    Probably not. Generally there are only issues for folks who work for the government and must have a security clearance.
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    There is no rule regarding this but from a practical standpoint, employers generally consider financial issues when hiring. Thus, employers routinely pull credit reports on prospective hires and it is quite common for people not to be hired because of bad credit, and a bankruptcy filing is as bad as you can get. Think long and hard before you decide to file a petition and make sure you speak with a bankruptcy attorney before you take any action that will affect your credit profile for up to ten years. Good luck!
    EDWARD P RUSSELL | EDWARD P RUSSELL
    You should ask someone at your place of employment.
    Probably not in your line of work.
    I have never had anyone come back and say they regretted filing. I have been doing this for over 30 years. It might enhance your career if you come to work less stressed.