Will an oral agreement be legal? 3 Answers as of August 30, 2010

My ex husband says that he can no longer pay his end on child support because he was fired from his job. He says that he will be able to pay about half as much and does not want it to go through the courts. This amount would be ok with me because my husband and I both have jobs and I know that my ex is struggling. Is there a way that we can make this oral agreement legal?

Prometheus: A Social Justice Law Firm
Prometheus: A Social Justice Law Firm | Aly Ebrahimzadeh
You have to sign a settlement agreement, enter it into the courts records and acquire a court order after filing a Petition for Support or a similar document. You may likely need an attorneys help. I handle such matters, so you can contact me for an initial consultation.
Well, any contract can be legal the issue is always proving that an agreement was made. So, here it is hard to prove if he does not want to pay. Getting a court order or signing and agreement might be best.