Will an increase in salary after filing for chapter 7 cause my case to be dismissed? How? 15 Answers as of August 24, 2015

I was laid off from my job 6 months ago, and have been living on unemployment pay since then. I couldn't find work, and ended up having to file chapter 7 bankruptcy at the beginning of this month. The case is still being processed, so the discharge did not happen yet. But I just today finally got a job offer, which I will be accepting and starting work next month. But will it cause my chapter 7 case to be dismissed? I'm worried that the new job will ruin my bankruptcy. Do you know if it will? Please let me know. Thank you!

Generally an increase in salary after filing the chapter 7 will not affect the chapter 7 and a discharge.
No one had a crystal ball at the time you filed bankruptcy, and when you filed, it sounds like you did so in good faith. After the stress of dealing with your debts was relieved, your personality may have changed and you be so happy that you became more employable. Everyone in the bankruptcy court system is happy this happened and it will not prevent you from getting your discharge. I am happy for you too, as I am for my many clients who have had this wonderful karma occur.
Generally chapter 7 will look at the last 6 months of income from the date of filing.
No, the income test in chapter 7 only includes the six months prior to the month of filing. So a post petition income change won't affect your status.
Novakov & Associates, PLLC
Novakov & Associates, PLLC | LINDA S. NOVAKOV
The income is calculated for your income as of the date you file bankruptcy.
Answer Applies to: Kentucky
    It depends on how much you will make. At the hearing they will ask if there any corrections or changes to make to your paper work. You have to be honest. Without knowing the details I can't answer this. Check with local counsel.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    No you will be fine.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    Your new job should have no effect on your bankruptcy. The key time frame looked at is the date of filing and six months prior to filing.
    Freeman Law Group, LLC
    Freeman Law Group, LLC | Derek Freeman
    No. All that matters in a chapter 7 is your situation on the day you filed your case. There are some exceptions to this rule, for instance if you suddenly receive an inheritance, but as far as employment income is concerned, any post-petition increase in income is irrelevant to your eligibility to get a discharge in a chapter 7.
    Do you have an attorney representing you in the bankruptcy? If so, you should call you attorney for specific advice. If not, if the job offer came after you filed your bankruptcy petition, it should have no bearing on your case. If the offer was made prior, you will need to reevaluate your petition and decide whether it would be appropriate to convert to a Chapter 13.
    I, nor anyone on the Internet, can rationally answer your question. Your bankruptcy attorney should be able to do so. If you do not have representation I would suggest you engage a bankruptcy practitioner immediately to represent your interests.
    The focus is the date of filing. You're okay.
    D.J. Rausa, Attorney at Law | D.J. Rausa
    The main issue to be concerned with is your Meeting of Creditors. If that has taken place and concluded, then you should be just fine. If not, then the issue becomes how much money will you be making compared to your household size. There are all unknown.
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    The simple answer is no. When you filed your bankruptcy petition, you had no job and sometime later you received a job offer. Your post-petition income belongs to you and there should be no impact on your bankruptcy case. Good luck and congratulations.
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
    No only if it was a chapter 13 would it have effected your case.