Will an expunged domestic violence case prevent me from becoming a citizen? 2 Answers as of April 20, 2011

I was convicted of a domestic violence back in 1994, all the court requirements were met. I got the case expunged in 2007. I don’t have anything else on my record. Can the DV case be a factor me getting citizenship in the US?

Yes it can. Expunging your record does not do anything for purposes of receiving immigration benefits. One must always disclose any criminal offense upon an adjudicator's request, including those that were expunged. Failure to do that will most certainly result in the denial of your application. Remember that most of the time, the adjudicator will have that information before asking you for it. So, assume they know and tell the truth. . . all of it.
Yes a DV conviction can result in the denial of your citizenship, and worse could result in you losing you Green Card. The fact that it was expunged does not remove it from being a conviction for immigration purposes. Whether the DV conviction could cause you to be denied, or lead to your deportation, depends on many factors, including what the actual conviction was for, the sentence you received, when it happened and how long you have had a Green Card. You need to speak to an immigration attorney before filing fore citizenship.