Will an expired passport prevent me from getting a green card through marriage? 10 Answers as of December 06, 2013

I entered the US legally with student visa but my passport might get expired before the green card interview. Someone told me I need a non-expired passport for the interview since the immigration office only put a stamp on a non-expired passport. What is the stamp for?

The stamps no longer get placed into a passport anyway, whether they are current or expired. You simply get the green card about 3 weeks after the interview if you successfully pass the interview. As for your passport, if you will want to travel after you get your green card, you will need to have a valid passport. You should contact your country's embassy in the US to find out about renewing your passport.
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
The stamp would be to show that you were approved for a green card. But you need a current passport for a different reason: USCIS officer will not talk to you unless you have an unexpired passport. So I suggest that you should contact your country's embassy or consulate general to find out how long it will take for you to get a new passport.
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
It's not necessary for you to have a valid passport when you apply for adjustment of status. However, if your case is approved and you want immediate proof of your residency before your green card is produced, you will need to have a valid passport in order to ask USCIS to stamp it with temporary proof of your status.
Immigration officers are no longer stamping passports at interviews for green card applicants, unless there are exigent circumstances requiring the green card applicant to leave the country prior to the issuance of the actual green card. Although it is not a requirement that you have a valid passport for the interview, you should renew your passport at the local consulate for your country as soon as possible.
They rarely grant stamps anymore unless you have urgent international travel coming up. If approved the green cards come quickly but you will still need a passport for travel so you may want to start the renewal process in any case.
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
    Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
    It is vitally important to keep your passport current. Act now to renew your passport before you report for your immigration interview. The "stamp" will be your family-based immigration visa, which cannot be placed in an expired passport. The green card (permanent residence permit) is a separate document, which you must keep on your person.
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    You do not need a valid passport to have your case approved. USICS does not stamp passports routinely after the interview anymore for a long time But you will need a valid photo ID for your interview as proof of identity. This can be a US driver license. A recently expired passport is often good enough too. I would not worry about it for now. However, you need a valid passport if you want to travel after you obtained your green card.
    The stamp is temporary proof that you are a permanent resident. There is no guarantee you would be given the stamp at the end of the interview. You do not need a valid passport, you just cannot be given this stamp. If approved, your actual green card will come in the mail. You will need the passport which you used to enter.
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
    No problem with an expired passport.
    Law Office of Eric Fisher | Eric Fisher
    An expired passport will not prevent you from getting LPR status, but you should renew it before the interview.