Will an attorney notify creditors in my bankruptcy? 5 Answers as of September 28, 2010

If I file for bankruptcy will I have to notify my creditors myself or will a bankruptcy lawyer do it for me? If I file for bankruptcy, I want my wage garnishments to be stopped as soon as possible. If a lawyer will help, then that is probably my best option at this point.

Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
Either your attorney, or the Court will notify creditors of your filing bankruptcy, depending upon which chapter you've filed. If you file yourself, known as In Pro Per, then, under Chapter 7 the Court would notify the Creditors you've listed, and under Chapter 13, you would notify them.
Law Office of Barbara Seeley Curtis
Law Office of Barbara Seeley Curtis | Barbara Curtis
Call for an appointment. The creditors are notified when the attorney files. Call for an appointment.
V U.S.A. Law Offices
V U.S.A. Law Offices | Michael Vu
Generally the Bankruptcy Court send out notices of all creditors you list in your petition. Subsequent motions or amendments would have to be notified the creditors by your attorney.
When you file bankruptcy, the court sends out a notice to all creditors you list addresses for in your petition. However, to stop your wage garnishments you need to separately notify the enforcing agency (usually the sheriff's office) as well as your payroll department of the bankruptcy filing, and file a notice of bankruptcy stay with the court that issued the judgment. Yes, an attorney would do this.
The Doan Law Firm
The Doan Law Firm | Shawn Doan
The court will generate both electronic and written notice to all your creditors, your attorney can also provide notice as well, especially if there is a garnishment.