Will a 401k loan affect my bankruptcy? 9 Answers as of May 25, 2011

I just filed bankruptcy and it has not been discharge as of yet. I would like to take a loan out on my 401K, will this affect my bankruptcy from being discharged?

Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
You should wait until the discharge is given.
Obtaining a loan from your 401K should not affect the discharge of a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, this is NOT the case if you had filed a Chapter 13.
You cannot take a loan from your 401K during bankruptcy without losing your right to claim it exempt. Wait until discharge. At that time your assets, including this, revert to you (go back to you.)
Maybe. Essentially you are converting an exempt asset to a possibly non-exempt asset (cash). It will depend on how much you pull out and and whether or not the trustee has filed a "no asset" report.
The Northwest Debt Relief Law Firm
The Northwest Debt Relief Law Firm | Thomas A McAvity
At a minimum, you will need to wait until after the meeting of the creditors and after a discussing the matter with your attorney.
    Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
    Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
    It depends on whether you're filing chapter 7 or 13 and whether you're repaying that loan will impede providing any monies to your unsecured creditors. It's best to consult with an attorney.
    It depends in part on what Chapter you filed, but if it's a Chapter 7 case, it shouldn't affect anything.
    That depends on whether the retirement account was exempt and if the time for the trustee to object has passed. It is better to wait until the case is closed to be certain the trustee is not going to claim any of the account.
    Jackson White, PC
    Jackson White, PC | Spencer Hale
    If you are in a chapter 13 then you need permission from the court. If you are in a chapter 7 then you should be fine taking a loan out so long as the 401k was claimed as exempt.