Why would my father's widow need my mothers death certificate? 18 Answers as of May 31, 2013

They have been divorced for 25 years and my mother has been deceased for 7 years.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reger Rizzo & Darnall LLP | Kathleen DeLacy
Joint ownership of an asset possibly?
Answer Applies to: Delaware
Replied: 5/31/2013
James Oberholtzer, Attorney at Law
James Oberholtzer, Attorney at Law | James Oberholtzer
Probably because your mother's name is listed as an owner on some property.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 5/30/2013
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
Your mother may be on the title of property held with your father and his wife needs proof that she is deceased.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/31/2013
Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
Why not ask her?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/31/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Possibly because the life insurance has your mother as the beneficiary and to the estate if she is dead. Ask his wife. She shouldn't have a problem telling you .
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 5/30/2013
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C. | Bernard H. Greenberg
    It may be necessary if there was property in joint tenancy between your father and mother.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 5/30/2013
    Sebby Law Office
    Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
    You don't give enough details to give an accurate answer. However, some state statutes require documentation the existance or death of potential heirs during the probate process. It also may be that your father listed your mother as a beneficiary on some policy or account and the death certificate is necessary to prove that she is deceased.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 5/30/2013
    Vandervoort, Christ & Fisher, P.C. | James E. Reed
    Most likely it relates to title to real property. If your father and mother owned real property, but did not pay attention to detail at the time of divorce and convey the property to your father by executing and recording a deed, record title to the property would still be in the name of your father and mother. If your father (believing he owned the property) attempted to convey it to he and his new wife, the conveyance would not be fully effective unless your mother's death certificate was recorded. Of course, after the divorce, your father & mother owned the property as tenants in common, so the death certificate might not be all that would be necessary to clear title to the property in your father's widow. There could be other reasons for the need for a death certificate (such as other jointly owned property). There is no way of knowing without conducting some investigation of the facts.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 5/30/2013
    Shimberg and Crohn, P.C. | Jonathan Shimberg
    To prove she is legally married. Maybe there are accounts jointly titled in your mom and dad's names that you dad never changed to his name, and she need to prove you mom died first, so they became your dad's.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 5/30/2013
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    Maybe it has something to do with claiming his social security. But the easiest way is to ask her.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 5/30/2013
    Law Office Of Victor Waid
    Law Office Of Victor Waid | Victor Waid
    Good question. I do not know. Don't give it to her. You may be entitled to some type of inheritance. Check it out by looking in the court filings for probate actions wherein you may be a possible heir as a result of your father's death or may be a beneficiary of a life insurance policy.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/30/2013
    Goldsmith & Guymon
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    Any number of reasons. Maybe she was still named as a beneficiary of something. Maybe it is needed for a pension issue. There could be any number of reasons. Why not ask her?
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 5/29/2013
    Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
    Perhaps she needs to prove the date of death. Maybe there were assets that were joint with her, or perhaps she was named a beneficiary on something.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 5/30/2013
    Law Offices of Gerald A. Bagazinski
    Law Offices of Gerald A. Bagazinski | Gerald A. Bagazinski
    Yes to clear her name off the title to his house.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 5/30/2013
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    It is hard to see but your mother may have been a beneficiary on something that was never changed after the divorce. Your best bet is to ask the wife.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/29/2013
    The Schreiber Law Firm
    The Schreiber Law Firm | Jeffrey D. Schreiber
    Are you asking for rank speculation? Since you know her and can ask- why don't you? Talking to people many times actually is helpful.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/29/2013
    Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
    Have you asked her? Offhand, I do not see the need, but maybe he left a Will giving her some assets.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/29/2013
    O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C.
    O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C. | Sean P. O'Keefe
    In Maryland, one may need a death certificate to show the decedent's death for various purposes, such as to deal with assets including bonds (perhaps jointly titled).
    Answer Applies to: Maryland
    Replied: 5/29/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney