Why was blowing a .01 considered a DUI? 2 Answers as of June 09, 2011

Me and a friend left a party to get away from a fight, the friend's girlfriend called the police. When the police got to the house they called me on my cell and threatened to take my son into custody, saying I had abandoned him, but he was there with his step dad. Worried about my son I was racing to get back to him, and lost control of the car and hit a house. When they took me to jail, they gave me a breathalyzer test, in which I blew a .01. I thought the legal limit was .04, and if so then why was I given a DUI and made to attend DUI classes? My license was also suspended, and I had to pay a fine.

If I had to guess, which from your limited facts, I do, I'd guess that you pled guilty when you should have tried the case. Don't plead guilty when you are not guilty. Stay well.
The legal limit in the State of Alabama is .08. The offense of driving under the influence does not always involve a reading of your blood alcohol level. It can be based on the arresting officer's opinion of whether you were too intoxicated to safely operate a motor vehicle. Any conviction of a DUI is an automatic suspension of your driving license.