Why on my credit report is it showing bankruptcy, but I have never filed it? How? 12 Answers as of April 30, 2015

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
It must be a mistake. A law firm like us will generally send in one dispute letter to remove it. If the credit reporting agencies do not remove inaccurate information, then we will file a FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) lawsuit in which they will have to pay your legal fees and you will receive money damages.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/29/2015
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
Dispute the bankruptcy on your credit report.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 4/27/2015
Novakov & Associates, PLLC
Novakov & Associates, PLLC | LINDA S. NOVAKOV
It is probably an error. You should write a letter to each of the major credit reporting companies and dispute the information. With your identification information, the bureau can verify that you have never filed and correct your information so that it reports accurately.
Answer Applies to: Kentucky
Replied: 4/28/2015
Law Office of Marlin Branstetter
Law Office of Marlin Branstetter | Marlin Branstetter
Sometime information is reported erroneously on credit reports for various reasons (similar names, incorrect social security numbers, etc). However, sometimes this is due to identity theft. You need to contact the credit bureaus and dispute the information. It also might be a good idea to go to the court where the bankruptcy was filed and review the file to see if you can determine the who filed and see if the court has a program to assist you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/30/2015
Charles Schneider, P.C.
Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
A mistake?
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/27/2015
    Tokarska Law Center
    Tokarska Law Center | Kathryn U. Tokarska
    Mistakes are made sometimes unless someone used your social and committed a fraud. Contact the 3 credit bureaus and dispute the information.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/27/2015
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
    That is because the logarithm used by credit reporting agencies can be off by 3 digits or because someone else is using your SSN number. I have attached instructions on how to file a complaint about this.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/27/2015
    A Fresh Start
    A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
    Credit reports often contain all kinds of mistakes. Someone with a similar name or social security could have filed bankruptcy and their information got onto your report. File a dispute with any credit bureau reporting this misinformation.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 4/27/2015
    Gleissner Law Firm, LLC | Luke Gleissner
    The most likely reason that your credit report is showing a bankruptcy but you never filed a bankruptcy is because the credit reporting agencies made a mistake. While not that common, sometimes they mistake one person for another and report one person's credit problems on another person's credit report. The process of getting the matter corrected can be complicated and you may need the assistance of an attorney to help you with the initial documents to send to the credit reporting agency. Many attorneys do not charge for this service but if the reports aren't corrected, the attorney will want to bring an action against the credit reporting agencies and get paid from the credit reporting agencies for their mistake.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 4/27/2015
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    Your credit report should show the case number for the alleged bankruptcy. Get it and have a lawyer investigate. Sometimes, unscrupulous people file bankruptcy petitions in other people's names as part of a foreclosure defense scam, resulting in headaches for unsuspecting people such as yourself. You need to speak with a lawyer, preferably one versed in bankruptcy, and have them research and advise you.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/27/2015
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    It would be pure speculation to try to answer the 'why' part of your question. But you can do something about it. Contact each of the three major credit reporting agencies, notify them of the error, and request that it be corrected promptly. They must respond within 60 days. There is a central database for bankruptcies, so they can find out readily if a person bearing your name and social security number, filed a bankruptcy petition. If someone stole your identity and filed, then you should notify the bankruptcy court in which s/he filed, and the United States Attorney and United States Trustee for that federal district.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 4/27/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Obviously in error. Seek to have the record corrected yourself, hire an attorney if necessary. You are welcome to call and engage Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC to potentially represent you.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/24/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney