Why is my divorce taking so long? 16 Answers as of July 07, 2013

I have about 7 months waiting on my divorce and my husband refuses to sign what should I do I have already paid my attorney?

Law Office of Melvin Franke | Melvin Franke
Meet with your attorney and ask him to speed things up.
The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook
The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook | Cathy R. Cook
Talk to your attorney about having the court decide the case, if your husband will not sign an agreement.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
First, ask your attorney to explain. just because your husband won't sign papers doesn't mean the case can't move forward. Have your attorney file a request for order to have the case either defaulted or set for trial. If your attorney won't act, have yourself substituted in as your own attorney and ask for help from the self-help desk at your court house.
You need to ask your lawyer. You have paid him/her they need to explain this to you and if they cannot, you could consider hiring a new lawyer to finish the case. Bottom line, if you don't know what is taking so long, your lawyer does (or should). No one else knows. Think about it, how is a complete stranger to the case to know what is taking so long if you, the person with the most intimate knowledge does not?
Langford Law Firm
Langford Law Firm | Theresa Langford
Since you have an attorney, you must direct your questions to that attorney. It is unethical for an attorney to comment otherwise. There are numerous reasons for a proceeding to be delayed, especially when it is contested, as it is here. Talk to your lawyer.
    The Law Office of Beverly G. Wheelihan, PLLC | Beverly G. Wheelihan
    It is difficult from your question whether or not an Answer to the Divorce Complaint was filed. If it was not, by this point you can file a Motion for Default Judgement of Divorce. It may be that an Answer was filed and the distribution of assets/liabilities is being discussed and settled upon. You should call your attorney and inquire on the status.
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    There is a mandatory 6 month waiting period. If your husband has answered, your attorney should ask the court to set the matter for pre-trial and establish a scheduling order. If your husband refuses to sign, the matter will proceed to trial so you need to get it moving in that direction.
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    7 months is not that long particularly if you husband is not being cooperative.
    Why are you asking this site why your divorce is still pending, you know better then us. Could be a hundred different reasons , and seven months is not that long.
    What does your husband refuse to sign? If it is a Notice and Acknowledgment of Receipt, your attorney should have him personally served. If it is a MSA or Stipulated Judgment, your attorney should set the case for trial.
    LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
    Divorces can take years. If husband won't sign, then you will have to go to trial to end the case. Opinion not legal advice.
    Talk to your attorney if you are represented.
    The Law Offices of Jill Puertas LLC | Jill Puertas
    If your husband will not sign, the only thing that can be done is to have your attorney set the case for trial. If your husband does not show, then a default could potentially be entered.
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    Your attorney should know what to do to move the process along. However, seven months is not an extraordinary amount of time in a contested divorce.
    Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
    If you are in a county that has a pre-set trial date, you have to wait until that date. If you're in a county in which a trial date needs to be set, ask your attorney to set it. You can not force the other party to sign, if he doesn't agree with your proposal. You have to wait for trial. If he did not respond to the petition, then you can get a default judgment.
    WARM SPRINGS LAW GROUP | Elliott D. Yug
    You don't say what your husband refuses to sign or what stage the divorce is at. If no complaint has been filed, a complaint for divorce should be filed, he should be served and if he doesn't answer a default should be entered. If a hearing has been held and he just needs to sign the order from the hearing, if he refuses to sign, ask your attorney to submit the order with a letter that says your husband refuses to sign the order.