Why dont police departments accept hyta programs? 7 Answers as of August 24, 2011

I was put on hyta probation in 1997 and completed the terms of the deal. Now I want a career as a police officer in Detroit but the city is telling me they dont do expungements and hyta programs.

Do you mean that they won't hire people that have expungements or were given HYTA status? I suppose if that is the case, that would need to be addressed with whoever sets the hiring policy for the department. I would not be able to give you that answer.
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
For law enforcement and the courts, they still count HYTA cases as convictions. While the general public would not know about an HYTA matter, law-enforcement and courts will. If, hypothetically, you were ever charged and convicted with another criminal offense, the presiding judge could use that matter against you for the purposes of sentencing. However, it may be worth a look by a civil rights attorney if their policies are part of some other discriminatory programs.
Thank you for your inquiry Employment decisions are in the hands of the employer. Any expungement or HYTA treatment is in the hands of the Court. In a jobs market like we have now, employers can be selective and more picky. Why the city would not want to hire someone with any criminal background at all is in their discretion. An obvious reason for excluding persons who had prior charges/convictions is that the city does not want to hire a person who broke the law to be charged with upholding the law. If that person became a police officer and later broke the law when they were hired as a police officer, there would be serious questions asked about why the person was ever hired in the first place. I hope that this was helpful.
Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C.
Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C. | Loren Dickstein
HYTA keeps a conviction off your public record. Law enforcement agencies have access to your nonpublic or law enforcement record. That being said, it suprises me that the police department would not accept you because of a youthful offense.
The city is not the proper place to seek an expungement. You would have to go back to the court where the conviction occurred to seek an expungement.