Why does the federal government not recognize the power of attorney on my husbands finances? 2 Answers as of August 02, 2011

My husband has power of attorney for finances for his uncle who lives in another state. All insurance companies, mutual fund managers, etc., will recognize this legal document except for the federal government. Can anything be done about this? They are telling him his uncle has to be declared incompetent for them to work with my husband.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Schreiber Law Firm
The Schreiber Law Firm | Jeffrey D. Schreiber
For the same reason that you cannot represent someone else in Court with a Power Of Attorney . It is not a universal document. Only the taxpayer or someone the IRS allows to represent a taxpayer (enrolled agent, CPA or attorney) can do so
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/2/2011
Apple Law Firm PLLC
Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
You should have someone review the document to see the terms of it
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: