Why do I still have to do 18 month classes in order to get my license after I already served time? 4 Answers as of January 23, 2014

In 2002 I got charged with a 2nd DUI. Due to that, I had violated probation. I had all kinds of stuff on me and DUI was the last chance I had. I was ordered to turn myself in and that all charges would be ran concurrent and when I was released it would be time served and I was clear no probation nothing. I turned myself in, did 4 months when the DUI charges was filed while I was in custody and had to serve another two months. My public defender told me I was clean and clear no more hold suspension nothing. I went to DMV a few years ago and they have a hold on my license. I have to do classes for 18 months. Why? I served the jail time, paid whatever fine there was with time. I paid for my crime why do I still have this hold?

There are mandatory things you have to do with a DUI. You have not done them.
The SB-38 class is mandatory for someone convicted of a 2nd DUI within 10 years. Your PD was incompetent in not telling you this.
Anderson Law Office
Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
The criminal charges and license consequences are controlled by two separate entities. Your PD only handles the criminal aspect. You must complete what DMV requires unless you could get a judge to rule otherwise.
Hudson Bair | Hudson Bair
This is part of the difficulty of being represented by the Public Defender, often they are skilled in defending your case in court but frequently they do not understand the separate nature of the DMV and the ramifications of a conviction either in court or a loss at the DMV hearing. When you were convicted of a second offense DUI an unstated requirement imposed by the DMV, not the court, was that you attend and complete the multiple offender DUI program. Unfortunately, you will be unable to get a license until you have completed the DUI program.