Why do I have to go to court for a petty misdemeanor and what should I expect? 8 Answers as of June 06, 2013

I was in an accident that sent me to the ER. I was never talked to by the police, yet was mailed a citation with a mandatory court appearance. Citation is for "Right of way through highway-the driver of a vehicle shall stop as required by this chapter at the entrance to a through highway and shall yield the right of way to other vehicles which have entered the intersection from the through highway".

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Get an attorney and fight the matter. Since you were injured they might go easy on you.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/6/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You are going to court, because the police believe that you caused the accident that sent you to the hospital.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/5/2013
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
You need to go to court because you have been charged with a traffic offense. If you fail to show a warrant will issue. As far as what to expect, without seeing the reports and the charging documents, I can't say.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/4/2013
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
Courts often make a court appearance mandatory for certain types of serious traffic offenses. If you hire a traffic law attorney to represent you and get this ticket "fixed," you won't have to appear in court.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 6/4/2013
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 6/4/2013
    Mark Rollins | Mark Rollins
    If you contact an attorney for some misdemeanors they can ask that your presence be waived for certain misdemeanor offense, however there usually must be consent by the prosecutor.
    Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
    Replied: 6/3/2013
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    Not only do you need to go to court, you should hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea. Remember, a misdemeanor, petty or not, will give you a criminal record.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/3/2013
    Barton Barton & Plotkin
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    You are charged with a serious traffic offense. Your question does not contain sufficient information to permit an answer. But you need to retain counsel. Don't handle this on your own.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 6/3/2013
Click to View More Answers: