Why do I have to go to court for a petty misdemeanor and what should I expect? 8 Answers as of June 06, 2013

I was in an accident that sent me to the ER. I was never talked to by the police, yet was mailed a citation with a mandatory court appearance. Citation is for "Right of way through highway-the driver of a vehicle shall stop as required by this chapter at the entrance to a through highway and shall yield the right of way to other vehicles which have entered the intersection from the through highway".

Get an attorney and fight the matter. Since you were injured they might go easy on you.
You are going to court, because the police believe that you caused the accident that sent you to the hospital.
You need to go to court because you have been charged with a traffic offense. If you fail to show a warrant will issue. As far as what to expect, without seeing the reports and the charging documents, I can't say.
LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com
LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com | Andrea Storey Rogers
Courts often make a court appearance mandatory for certain types of serious traffic offenses. If you hire a traffic law attorney to represent you and get this ticket "fixed," you won't have to appear in court.
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial.
    Mark Rollins | Mark Rollins
    If you contact an attorney for some misdemeanors they can ask that your presence be waived for certain misdemeanor offense, however there usually must be consent by the prosecutor.
    Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
    Not only do you need to go to court, you should hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea. Remember, a misdemeanor, petty or not, will give you a criminal record.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    You are charged with a serious traffic offense. Your question does not contain sufficient information to permit an answer. But you need to retain counsel. Don't handle this on your own.