Who will be notified if I file for bankruptcy? 5 Answers as of August 04, 2010

I'm considering filing for bankruptcy but am scared because of the stigma that bankruptcy carries. Who will be notified if I do file for bankruptcy? Will my employer be notified? That is who I'm primarily scared about.

David Nelson
David Nelson | David Nelson
There used to be a huge stigma, however, now that more than a million a year filing personal bankruptcies, and more and more every month.

Face it, first our employers started bouncing our checks, then the banks started to bounce.

Your employer should not be notified unless you owe him/her money. You must list everyone that you owe money whether you want to pay them or not.

What I have seen a few times is where a person might lose a security clearance if they filed a bankruptcy. In that case, it's better to find a different route than a bankruptcy if that security clearance is important enough. Usually a high enough security clearance will mean that you will have a higher pay grade and therefore it will be important enough to matter.

What I've also seen is that, if you are a card dealer in a casino, most of the Indian casinos in Southern California area will in fact want you to file a bankruptcy if you're financially in trouble and they will fire you if you don't file bankruptcy. On the other hand, I've heard that the casinos in Vegas will fire you if you do file a bankruptcy.

Call me to go over details .
All of your creditors will be notified if you do file for bankruptcy.
Fasel, Fasel, & Nefulda, LLP
Fasel, Fasel, & Nefulda, LLP | Thomas Fasel
No employer, government or private, may fire you because you filed for bankruptcy. Nor may an employer discriminate against you in other terms and conditions of employment. In practice, employers rarely find out about a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy filing. However, if a creditor has sued you, obtained a judgment, and started garnishing your wages, your employer will get the news. The bankruptcy will stop the wage garnishment, and your employer will be notified about it.

If you file for Chapter 13, your employer is likely to learn of your bankruptcy case.

Many private employers conduct a credit check prior to hiring, and will find out about your bankruptcy from your credit report.

If you wish to discuss further, please contact me.
Kevin Michael Muldoon
Kevin Michael Muldoon | Kevin Muldoon
Only creditors (those you owe money to) will be notified.