Who will be held liable if my daughter has a car accident? 1 Answers as of June 02, 2015

My daughter's car is titled in her name, my name and her stepfather's name. She has taken the car out of state. Can my husband and I be held liable if she has an accident? She refused to title it in under her name in Washington. What should we do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
Under Florida law, the individuals on the car title are responsible for any injuries that car causes in an accident if the car was being driven by a permissive user. I hate to say this, but I would think the law of the forum state where the accident occurs would control over Florida law....the best thing to do is take out plenty of bodily injury liability insurance on the car, and ask that same question of the insurance agent selling you the policy of insurance. Also, if the car is going to be driven out of state by your daughter, then I would also ask the insurance agent if the car should be insured in Florida or in Washington, if the car is going to be driven almost exclusively in Washington.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/2/2015
Click to View More Answers: