Who should I contact for help concerning an international joint account and taxes? 2 Answers as of December 06, 2010

I made a personal loan to my finance who resides in the UK but is an Irish citizen. He wants to pay back this loan to me from recent rental income he received. His bank is holding funds and advises that they cannot release these funds unless we pay a 10% of the total amount in our joint account in the UK. I agreed to this joint account for the purpose of receiving the monies I loaned him w/o delay. I need to talk to someone regarding this situation. We are not trying to evade paying taxes to the UK. We are not trying to evade any taxes due to UK. In fact, we have already monies up front to open the joint account and for cost of the wire transfer. We have requested that the withholding taxes be paid from the funds in the joint account. I need some help. Who can I contact?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Mankus & Marchan, LTD
Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
Regarding UK taxes, you should consult with a tax attorney or an accountant in the UK.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 12/6/2010
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
This is an international law question and would probably be handled best by a lawyer who is familiar with UK law.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 12/6/2010
Click to View More Answers: