Who is responsible for the repairs? Posted on August 13, 2011

I recently purchased a business and leased the building with it. Prior to lease, I found some damages in the building that I needed to make. The walls were damaged, the ceiling was torn, and roof was leaking. Due to the condition of the building, landlord offered 3 months of free(worth about $9200) rent for repairs and we signed the lease to that agreement. We repaired all the infrastructure in the building from our budget. However, the problem now is that the building has no electricity or water. The landlord later explains there was a break-in couple years ago. The thieves stole all the copper piping and electric lines in the building. Since we need those utilities, we got an estimate for the additional repairs costing about $18,000 for electricity and water. Now, the landlord is only offering 2 more months of free rent and no payment for the repairs. Question is, am I responsible for the repairs or does the landlord have to provide repairs for the utility?