Who is responsible for medical bills if my 15 year old got punched by another 15 year old? 16 Answers as of November 19, 2013

My 15 year old got punched in the eye by another 15 year old. We had to seek medical treatment and now the eye doctor and maybe a specialist. Who is responsible for medical bills?

Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
The other 15-year old?s parents are responsible. Make a claim against their insurance company.
The parents of the person who hit your child may be responsible, depending on the circumstances.
Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C.
Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C. | Pete Leehey
Parents of a minor are responsible financially for the illegal acts of their children. The limit is very low, I believe the maximum is $2000. The best way to proceed is probably too make a claim against the homeowner's insurance of the parents.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
You are responsible to the doctors for payment. If the police bring charges against the other child, the Juvenile court can order the child to pay restitution, but I would not expect to get much. You can sue the child, but it will be difficult to collect. There is a law that would make the child's parents liable for up to $5,000 for their child's malicious destruction of property, but I do not believe it applies to assaults.
The 15 year old. fat chance you will collect.
    The parents of the other person.
    Presuming you accepted responsibility for the medical bills, you are primarily responsible. You can seek reimbursement from the other 15 year old if he or she is liable. Good luck.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
    The assailant is liable obviously, but he can't be sued directly since he is under age. His parents may have some liability (depends upon the state law). If it happened at school and there was a lack of supervision, the school district may be liable. Also, submit the bills to your health insurer for coverage.
    Oscar E. Toscano | Oscar E. Toscano
    Have a guardian ad litem appointed for the other child and sue him and his parents.
    Who started the fight? If the other kid did, then it is safe to assume that your child was not a willing participant, and so the other kid is responsible. However, if the fight was between 2 consenting kids, then your child is responsible.
    Well, it depends. If the punch was unprovoked and came out of the blue, then the other kid's parents. If your son was attacking the other kid and he was defending himself, then probably you. If it was a fight and both parties were punching I would guess probably you. However, you need to consult with a local attorney about the facts to determine if you have a case.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You are responsible to the doctor for the bills. The child is liable and the parents are responsible for up to $5000 for reimbursement for intentional acts of their child. Home owners may also pay if the child's act can be characterised as negligent.
    E. Ray Critchett, LLC
    E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
    The other parents can be held liable for injuries caused by their child. You should consult with an attorney to see if it applies to your case.
    You are, it's your offspring and these things happen. You can't sue a 15-year old and even if you could he/she would not likely have any money. You can only go after the parents if you can prove with evidence that they knew or should have known this would happen.
    Victor Varga | Victor Varga
    The 15 year old's parents.
    Mishkind Law Firm, Co., L.P.A.
    Mishkind Law Firm, Co., L.P.A. | Howard Mishkind
    The parents of the child are legally responsible for the conduct of their minor child up to a certain limit. If the child's acts can be considered negligent rather than intentional the parent's home owners insurance may cover the incident. Talk to an attorney and have him notify the parent's and request that they provide information on their homeowner's insurance coverage.