Who pays for my personal injury medical expenses? How? 19 Answers as of May 13, 2015

Should I just leave it up to the other insurance or what steps do I need to take? I was hospitalized because of the accident.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Robinette Legal Group, PLLC
Robinette Legal Group, PLLC | Jeffery Robinette
It depends if you have med-pay on your auto insurance or on the at-fault driver's insurance, the auto insurance company will pay medical bills within a set time period. If that coverage is not available to you, your primary medical insurance will be billed, and will be reimbursed out of the amount you receive if you succeed in a personal injury claim filed by an experienced car accident attorney. If you have no insurance, but a valid personal injury claim, an attorney may submit a letter of protection to your medical provider stating that the payments for services will be made after the insurance settlement is obtained. If you have serious and/or permanent injuries, your best move now is to contact a personal injury attorney in your state for a free consultation to find all coverage that you might receive. You will not get top dollar if you represent yourself. The insurance companies' foremost goal is to minimize payouts on claims to increase shareholders' profits. Best wishes for your best recovery.
Answer Applies to: West Virginia
Replied: 5/13/2015
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
If you were hurt in Michigan as a result of a motor vehicle accident, your own auto insurance is required to pay the medical bills, lost wages, household replacement services, attendant care. If you were hurt and as a result suffer or suffered a "serious impairment of body function," you can sue the other owner and driver for pain and suffering. If you did not have auto insurance, YOU pay the medical bills.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/12/2015
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
You need to make a claim to the other person's insurance company, or they may never get paid.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/12/2015
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
Nowhere near enough information to even begin to answer. Was this a car crash? On-the-joob injury? Slip and fall?
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/12/2015
Ferguson & Ferguson
Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
Talk to an attorney. If another party is liable, you can recover pain and suffering from their insurance company.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 5/12/2015
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    YOUR vehicle insurer is responsible to pay for crash related medical treatment. Get an opinion about all your rights from a local lawyer that regularly handles auto crash cases as there are different benefits available and different claims that may be able to be made depending on the specific facts of your matter.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 5/12/2015
    Boesen Law, LLC
    Boesen Law, LLC | Jon C. Boesen
    Your medical and hospital expenses are part of the damages that your lawyer will demand the negligent driver's insurance company pay to you. Consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer to learn what else you are entitled to seek for damages from the other driver's insurance company to compensate you for your losses, for what you have gone thru and may have to deal with in the future.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 5/12/2015
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    You need to reach out to a Georgia personal injury attorney. Being hospitalized means you have substantial medical bills. The at-fault insurance company will not pay as you treat. If they pay at all it will be one time and therefore you need to know all of your damages. A personal injury attorney will attempt to locate all of the insurance available on your claim. Call today the consultations are free and you do not have to pay money down they usually work on a contingency fee basis. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 5/11/2015
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    The other side will pay medical bills when the ENTIRE case settles. This will include pain and suffering ,permanent impairment and other components. Your insurance pays up front. Don't accept any payment from the other side other than property damage without advise of counsel.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 5/11/2015
    Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
    If you are not at fault, and if you have been injured,you should hire an injury lawyer. Insurance never pays your medical bills directly unless it is through your med-pay coverage. If you want a reasonable settlement I suggest that you hire counsel. Good Luck.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/11/2015
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    You are responsible for the medical bills. Put them on your regular medical insurance and use your Med Pay coverage on your car policy to cover co-pays and deductibles. Your insurance company will be entitled to get their money back from the other insurance company. The other insurance company won't pay you unless you give them a release and you can't do that until you've reached maximum improvement from your injuries. Once you reach maximum improvement in your medical condition, your Dr. should be in a position to determine if you have any permanent injuries and restrictions and whether you will need future medical treatment. Then you, or your lawyer, if you choose to get one, should be in a position to discuss settlement with the other insurance company which will include reimbursement for medical bills. You should seriously consider consulting an experienced injury lawyer. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 5/11/2015
    Law Offices of Carl L. Brown | Carl L. Brown
    The adverse insurance company does not have your best interests in mind. You should seek representation by an experienced personal injury attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/11/2015
    Law Offices of Robert Burns
    Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
    Get a lawyer. Too little is divulged here to respond better.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/11/2015
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    Be certain your insurance company knows of the accident and the medical consequences. You may want to hire a skilled personal injury lawyer: they can often find bases for damages which the layperson may not know. Good Luck.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 5/11/2015
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    Your medical bills are your responsibility to take care of, whether an insurance company pays or not. Your healthcare providers have a contract for services with you. Never let a billing statement just collect dust in your apartment. Call the doctor's office and find out what efforts have been taken to submit the billing to which insurance companies. If no one will pay and you thing they should, then you should call a lawyer and explain what happened and why you think someone else should pay. Protect your credit by staying on top of the payment process.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Replied: 5/11/2015
    Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
    Please retain a lawyer. He/she will work on a percentage, and you will be better off. Don't expect the ins. co. to treat you fairly; that's not their job.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/11/2015
    John Russo | John Russo
    Retain counsel or the insurance company will dance you around and around.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 5/11/2015
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    You would probably be making a mistake if you allow the insurance company for the responsible party to determine your compensation for an injury case. It would be necessary to review the facts of your case to try to establish what type of compensation that you might be entitled to. Thank you for your email. Barry R. Rabovsky Law Office Of Barry R. Rabovsky
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 5/11/2015
    Chip Wagar
    Chip Wagar | Chip Wagar
    The other driver and/or his insurance should pay these expenses. your own policy may have coverage for some medical expenses, depending on the type of policy you purchased. You should consult and attorney to examine both policies and advise you on this.
    Answer Applies to: Louisiana
    Replied: 5/11/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney