Who owes the debt after our divorce? 2 Answers as of June 14, 2011

Me and my ex husband divorced in 2001 and I moved out of state. We had a mobile home that was in my name that he kept in the divorce and the divorce papers state he was supposed to pay for it. I got a phone call today from a lady saying that the mobile home was repoed in 2003 and I still owe 11000 dollars. Am I still responsible for this? Can they still make me pay this since it is so old? Please help.

Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
Technically as far as the creditor is concerned you do owe the money because your name was on the debt and the divorce decree cannot alter the contract you made with the lender. However, if your divorce decree states that he was supposed to pay the debt and hold you harmless and indemnify you against collection of the debt your remedy is to file an action for contempt against him to attempt to recoup the money that you owe to the creditor. Check with an attorney regarding issues of jurisdiction in such a case.
Your divorce, as I am sure your lawyer told you at the time, has nothing to do with whether you were on the loan. Yes they can pursue you (and you can then sue your ex). However, the debt may possibly be too old to collect or you may be eligible to bankrupt on it, so see a lawyer and do NOT talk to the collector until you do.