Who is liable for his motorcycle personal injury accident 4 Answers as of November 30, 2010

My son was riding on his motorcycle when he was involved in an accident. We realized that the person who hit him let his insurance lapse. The driver of that vehicle is not the registered owner. Who must I contact and hold liable for repairs, medical, and time off work? The registered owner? This is a California case.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Tomalas Law Firm
Tomalas Law Firm | Ryan Tomalas
There are a couple of options that your son may have in this situation.

First, the registered owner may be responsible for your son's injuries; however there is a statutory limit on "ownership liability" in California. Therefore, even if the owner carried insurance on the vehicle, it might be a minimal amount.

Another option is that your son might be able to make a claim under his (or your) uninsured motorist coverage under his own automobile/motorcycle insurance policy; this assumes that he/you carried uninsured motorist coverage. (Uninsured motorist coverage also operates as Underinsured Motorist coverage.)

We have made these types of claims hundreds of times. If you are interested in a free consultation, please call
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/30/2010
Click to View More Answers: