Who is the legal owner of car if we both signed but I was the only one who paid it? 1 Answers as of June 05, 2017

My ex-wife and I got our son a car. We both signed the papers for the car. I'm the only person who paid for the car. I was just informed today, after dealership wrote a refund check, and only to her and not me. I was told that she is considered the legal owner of the car because she signed papers first.

Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
If you both got a car for your son, presumably now that it is paid off, you will both transfer title to the son.If it was purchased during the marriage, it doesn't matter who paid, the payment was community property. The refund should be split, but may be so minimal (it usually is) that it hardly matters. The significant issue is ownership of the car. You didn't say to whom the car was assigned in the divorce or who was ordered to pay the remaining debt on it in the divorce. That's what counts.