Who has the responsibility to keep the parking lot clear of snow? 1 Answers as of January 31, 2011

I've lived in my apartment complex for 6 years, new management has taken over this year & the decline in maintenance service is evident. After the recent snowstorm in Philadelphia this past Wednesday, our parking lot is a wreck 4 days later. In the past, the previous management officials sent out a notice asking that the lot be cleared of cars so that the plows can clear the lot-including all parking spaces. The time around plows have simply cleared the straight away so that cars can drive straight through the lot. I have never seen my neighbors have to place chairs and cans in parking spaces in 6yrs because the spaces are normally cleared. I personally have had to park out of the lot and on the street because my tires can't handle the amount of ice covering the ground. The walk way to my building is completely blocked at the beginning but then it is cleared in the middle, if cars are parked on both sides of the walk way, there is no safe way to get through. I spoke with the onsite management office on Thursday and explained all of this and the fact that I almost fell in the lot. I was told that the person would make some phone calls so that it could be taken care of. It is now Sunday and nothing has changed. In addition to the walk way, there is no evidence of salt being placed down. Is it the management's responsibility to handle this problem or was it just a luxury to have the lot cleared in previous years?

LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
It is management's responsibility to keep the lot clear of snow. If you are injured walking through the lot, they would be responsible. In addition, your lease may contain some provision for parking which they are violating. I would give them until the end of business Monday and then contact the city department of license and inspections if the situation is not resolved.