Who gets the remains of someone who is cremated? How? 2 Answers as of September 14, 2015

My father expired in December 2011. I went to view his body and was told I could only see him for a few moments. I was told no info on the service could be told to me because I wasn't paying for the service. Only that he was going to be cremated. I'm the oldest and asked how much was the services. Back in January he was still at the funeral home. I recently called the funeral home and they said Next of kin was given the ashes. I don't who the person is or was. Please help me to understand why I wasn't given the opportunity to receive my daddy’s remains.

Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
If you are your father's only living survivor, you are rightfully the person that is supposed to receive his remains. However, the funeral home may have given the person that paid for the cremation the cremains.
The next of kin for deciding the disposition of remains is the surviving spouse, or if there is no surviving spouse, a majority of the children.