Who does the money belong to? 2 Answers as of August 06, 2013

I'm a parent is in NJ. My daughter is 21 and will be graduating college in 5/14. Her dad started paying child support when she was 10 and there is an amount added onto his weekly total for arrears (he went about 2 yrs without paying). Now for c/s I receive the amount plus the extra. When he files his income tax, I get that as well. When my daughter graduates and he is no longer obligated to pay there will still be a balance of arrears. My question is, who does that money belong to? Right now I give it all to her but I've told her that technically, the arrearage portion is mine, due to the fact that I paid for her totally when he was not paying at all. Am I correct?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
The money is yours. You should get a divorce lawyer (even if you were never married to the man) and enforce the child support. You may also be able to force him to pay for part of the cost of college. What will happen in your situation depends on the law of the State you live in.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 8/6/2013
Glenn Milgraum PC
Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
Simply put, the child support received is to be utilized by the parent to provide for the child (i.e.: roof over head; heat, food, clothing, education, etc.) The monies are not payments that goes to the child; unless the parent wishes to be generous and provide it to the child along with all the other support the custodial parent provides.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 8/5/2013
Click to View More Answers: