Who can write an affidavit of support for form i751? 5 Answers as of June 09, 2011

Can my wife's parents write affidavit of support for our marriage for form i751 ( to remove conditions)?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
You are confusing a couple of terms. "Affidavit of Support" in immigration law is a pledge to financially support an immigrant, so that the immigrant is not on public assistance. "Form I-751" is a petition to remove the conditions on a green card. For marriage-based immigration, only a conditional green card is issued when a couple has been married less than two years. If you are filing I-751, you are applying to remove the condition on the green card. You have to have evidence that your marriage is in good faith. Affidavits are not usually required. Instead, both husband and wife appear at the interview and present evidence such as joint bank accounts, joint mortgage, and sometimes photo albums of their life together. If you have children of the marriage, that is excellent evidence of a good-faith marriage.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/9/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Yes they can. Basically anyone who is a USC or LPR (among others) who knows you and can attest to your marriage being a good faith marriage. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/8/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
You don't need the I-864 for the I-751.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/8/2011
The Jarrett Firm, LLC
The Jarrett Firm, LLC | Patrick Jarrett
It is helpful for non-relatives to write your affidavits in support of your marriage. Your wife's parents can write affidavits, however, if you have friends that personally have known both you and your wife during your marriage, it would carry more weight. If you have other questions, feel free to contact me.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/8/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
The short answer is most certainly, they can file an additional affidavit of support under I-864, if they are willing to be subject to financial responsibility for you for up to 10 years. If so, you are one blessed man. If you need the assistance of an attorney in this regard (and you may well), feel free to call or e-mail to schedule an appointment for a consultation. To know more about me, check out my website.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: