Who can I first talk to about a case? 25 Answers as of February 10, 2016

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
Most lawyers provide an initial consultation at no cost to evaluate your legal situation. I suggest contacting one with such a policy who practices in the area of law where your problem is.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 2/10/2016
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
I and most other attorneys will be glad to talk to you on the phone to evaluate your case. After getting some information, then we can make the decision if you need to come in to pursue the matter. If you call an attorney and he/she won't talk to you, then call another attorney.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 2/2/2016
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
We need more info. Generally, most lawyers will give a free conference. You can contact your local (City or County) bar association for a referral.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/2/2016
McKenzie,Wilkes & Mahmoud | Henry Nasif Mahmoud
What type of case is it?
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 2/2/2016
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
First you need to have an idea what kind of case you have: Criminal, Civil etc. Then you should look for an attorney who handles such cases.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/1/2016
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    An attorney such as myself.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 2/1/2016
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    I'm not quite sure what you need to know. usually you would call a lawyer and schedule an initial consultation. To find a lawyer, you can consult friends or relatives. You can check AVVO.com online, check your yellow pages, or call your state bar lawyer referral service.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 2/1/2016
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
    An attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 2/1/2016
    Lawyer for Indie Media
    Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
    Let us first look at who you should not talk to about your case, and that is anyone other than your own lawyer. You should never discuss your own criminal or traffic case with police or FBI agents, even if they seem nice or are offering to help. You have the right to remain silent, but that right only works if you keep your mouth shut. If you are arrested, it might be days before you can hire a lawyer or be given a public defender. All that time, you should not talk about your case. This is a very difficult instruction because the most natural thing anyone wants to do is to talk about their situation. That whole thing about how "anything you say can and will be used against you" is true. If your question is about a civil case, such as a lawsuit or divorce, you should talk with your own lawyer. If you cannot afford a lawyer, you might be able to get one from a legal aid organization or law school clinic. Some union jobs have a benefit for their members where a lawyer is provided. Keep in mind that court clerks and workers are not allowed to give legal advice.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 2/1/2016
    A Fresh Start
    A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
    Are you talking about a bankruptcy case? Why talk to anyone other than a bankruptcy attorney?
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 2/1/2016
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    Find an attorney that concentrates hi/her practice in the area that seems to apply to your case. You could start with the local bar association for guidance.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 2/1/2016
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 5 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney