Who can I first talk to about a case? 25 Answers as of February 10, 2016

KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
Most lawyers provide an initial consultation at no cost to evaluate your legal situation. I suggest contacting one with such a policy who practices in the area of law where your problem is.
I and most other attorneys will be glad to talk to you on the phone to evaluate your case. After getting some information, then we can make the decision if you need to come in to pursue the matter. If you call an attorney and he/she won't talk to you, then call another attorney.
We need more info. Generally, most lawyers will give a free conference. You can contact your local (City or County) bar association for a referral.
McKenzie,Wilkes & Mahmoud | Henry Nasif Mahmoud
What type of case is it?
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
First you need to have an idea what kind of case you have: Criminal, Civil etc. Then you should look for an attorney who handles such cases.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    An attorney such as myself.
    I'm not quite sure what you need to know. usually you would call a lawyer and schedule an initial consultation. To find a lawyer, you can consult friends or relatives. You can check AVVO.com online, check your yellow pages, or call your state bar lawyer referral service.
    An attorney.
    Lawyer for Indie Media
    Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
    Let us first look at who you should not talk to about your case, and that is anyone other than your own lawyer. You should never discuss your own criminal or traffic case with police or FBI agents, even if they seem nice or are offering to help. You have the right to remain silent, but that right only works if you keep your mouth shut. If you are arrested, it might be days before you can hire a lawyer or be given a public defender. All that time, you should not talk about your case. This is a very difficult instruction because the most natural thing anyone wants to do is to talk about their situation. That whole thing about how "anything you say can and will be used against you" is true. If your question is about a civil case, such as a lawsuit or divorce, you should talk with your own lawyer. If you cannot afford a lawyer, you might be able to get one from a legal aid organization or law school clinic. Some union jobs have a benefit for their members where a lawyer is provided. Keep in mind that court clerks and workers are not allowed to give legal advice.
    Are you talking about a bankruptcy case? Why talk to anyone other than a bankruptcy attorney?
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    Find an attorney that concentrates hi/her practice in the area that seems to apply to your case. You could start with the local bar association for guidance.